In 2001 I took a part in very interesting development of a client-server game called "Battleships", the development had to show features of the new game platform called GEX developed by the Swedish Gamefederation company. The Platform allowed users to cross borders of their devices and make play between incompatible platforms, for instance a mobile player could took a part in a game session with a PC user. The Battleships game had been selected as a good demo. I didn't have very strong skills in mobile developments at that time because J2ME was actually absolutly new experemental technology, but it looked very interestingly and I became the developer of both the server and mobile parts of the project. The Project was very time restricted and we (The Russian team included 5 persons, and the Swedish team had two very strong GEX-server developers) had only 3 months to complete all its parts (the mobile client, the PC client and the GEX based game server). It was no so easy to develop for mobile platform in that time, there were not a lot of tools for J2ME and emulators, thus I was made to use only the early version of J2ME SDK and the real device (The Motorola A008) was accessible only in the Stockholm Motorola laboratory and I could not get any access to it, I developed the application absolutely blindly with a J2ME SDK profile developed by me to simulate the cell phone. We had two amazing super skilled Russian artists in our Russian team - Vladimir Chernych and Dmitriy Holodov, their super creativity allowed to develop amazing design for the game! The GEX server was developing by Christian Andersson and Markus Persson. The PC game was developed by Sergey Kuligin (and one more person but I don't remember his name :() and me developed the game server module, the mobile version and the network client for the PC game.
The GEX platform was based on Java platform and games were presented on the server side as executable modules working in a GEX comtainer as components. The PC client was entirely developed in C++ and worked under Windows 98 + DirectX, and all its network work was implemented in Java which was called through JNI. The network protocol worked over HTTP.
It was no so easy to develop for the A008 because it already in that time had a touch-screen (!) and I was made to develop own small UI framework which allowed me to make work with the touch-screen much easier. Despite the difficulties, the project had been completed in time and it was shown on E3 2001. I have not ever seen the game working on a real device, I saw only several photos of the game process in a Swedish online magazine dedicated to mobile technologies..